California weapons laws are changing every year. If you don't stay current, you could end up violating a firearm law without knowing it. There are two major categories of weapons offenses in California:
- Violations concerning the manufacture, sale and ownership of a firearm; and
- Criminal acts involving a weapon, such as "Assault with a Deadly Weapon."
If you have been charged with a weapons offense in either category, contact Orange County Criminal Lawyer Barney B. Gibbs. With over 30 years of experience in the Orange County criminal justice system, he has the experience you need to fight your weapons or firearm charges.
Weapons Charges for Violations of Manufacture, Sale and Ownership Laws
There are literally hundreds of proposed changes to gun laws in California every year. Some of them are passed, others are struck down, and others are appealed or amended. These types of laws typically involve registration of firearms, which types of firearms are lawful to own, concealed carry, and sale. Some common violations are:
- Failure to register a firearm
- Violation of concealed carry laws
- Illegally transporting a firearm
- Possession of a prohibited firearm
- Violation of lethal force for self-defense law
For a complete list of California firearms laws as of 2013, visit OAG.ca.gov. Most California firearm laws can be found in
Title 4 "Firearms" of the California Penal Code.
Criminal Acts Involving a Weapon
There are a variety of criminal acts involving a weapon that could result in a felony charge. Some of the most common are the following:
- Assault with a Deadly Weapon § 245a1 of the California Penal Code
- Robbery CPC § 211 accomplished by use of a weapon/firearm
- Unlawful possession of a firearm in violation of CPC § 29905, § 23515 or § 417a2
- Carjacking in violation of CPC § 215 accomplished by use of a weapon
Gun laws range in severity and scope. No matter what type of weapons charge you might be facing, know that there is a defense available to you. You are innocent until proven guilty, so contact an
Orange County criminal defense attorney at The Law Office of Barney B. Gibbs today.